A new extensive political strike in the technology industry in mid February
The unions oppose the social security and labor market reforms proposed by the government with their actions.
Industrial Union announced on 2 February new, extensive political strikes that will affect several industrial sectors. The work stoppages will last for three days and will be carried out from February 14th to 16th.
– In companies, there are ongoing change negotiations and layoffs, and the situation is difficult due to declining orders and demand. Each new strike action further darkens the prospects for companies and employment. Whenever export activities are deliberately weakened, the ultimate sufferer is the Finnish worker, says Jarkko Ruohoniemi, CEO of Technology Industry Employers of Finland.
The list of companies affected by the political strikes on 14–16 February can be found on the Industrial Union's website.
The Finnish Electrical Workers' Union has also announced a political strike to be held at the same time, affecting all jobs covered by Electrical Installation and Electrical Work, Maintenance and Servicing, and Energy-ICT-Network Collective Agreements.
You can find the targets of the strike in the attached appendix.
Also Trade Union Pro announced a new political work stoppage, strike affects work shifts starting from 00:00 on 14 February 2024 and ending at 24:00 on 16 February 2024 at locations where the Collective Agreement for Salaried Employees in Technology Industry is applicable. According to Pro's announcement, the work stoppage also affects salaried employees working at the relevant locations under the aforementioned collective agreement, even if they are employed by other companies.
The key port operators are also on strike. Finnish Transport Workers’ Union AKT organizes a political strike on 14–16 February. The list of companies affected by the political strikes can be found on AKT's website.
The Finnish Construction Union participates in the political strike announced by Industrial Union on the 14–16th of February at the following sites:
- Agnico Eagle Finland, Kittilä mine
- Boliden Kevitsa Mining, Kevitsa mine
- Outokumpu Chrome, Kemin mine
- Outokumpu Chrome, Tornion plant
- Outokumpu Stainless Steel, Tornio
- SSAB Europe, Raahe plant
You can find more detailed guidance related to political industrial actions in tyosuhdepalvelu.fi.
The page has been updated on 12 February.